These irresistible herbs and cheese biscuit recipe is easy and quick to prepare. Also called drop biscuits, it makes delicious light and cheesy side bread you can eat with brunch or dinner and even be added to the kids' lunch box.
Only just a few ingredients, you can adapt this recipe with your favourite cheese. Also, it does not require yeast or resting time. If you like the biscuits from Red Lobster, you will love these ones, there are as delicious if not more!
🔪 How Do You Make These From Scratch?
Undoubtedly, what's amazing about this recipe is that you most likely have all the ingredients in your kitchen!
- All-purpose flour: you got some, right?
- Baking powder & baking soda: check or add them to the shopping list.
- Salt and oregano: always available
- Butter: a staple, I always keep an emergency one in the freezer, I use salted butter by the way.
- Cheese: any grated cheese will work great: shredded cheddar cheese, Emmental, mozzarella, etc
- Milk: I use the 2% one
First, in a big bowl, pour all the dry ingredients, add in some melted butter. Incorporate fully. Then, add in the milk and mix again. Lastly, pour in the cheese of your choice.
You are done! Prepare a baking sheet and using 2 tablespoons, scoop small balls of batter into cheese drop biscuits.
Obviously, this recipe can be made to your liking so feel free to think of other ingredients that can be used!
Cheese: You can use any other grated cheese: old cheddar, parmesan, Emmental or provolone.
Herbs: If you don't have oregano, you can switch it up for thyme, rosemary or even a blend such as Herbes de Provence.
Garlic: You can add some more garlicky powder or freshly chopped.
Meat: You can add some pieces of ham or bits of cooked bacon for a smoked flavour.
How Can I Eat Them?
Breakfast: Slice these babies and add a fried egg and a piece of ham! The perfect option for a breakie to go.
Lunch: Look at this grilled duck salad and replace the sliced bread with a cheese biscuit, how does that sound? Hungry yet?
Dinner: Not pasta dinner is complete without a nice piece of cheesy biscuit.
What Goes Well With A Cheese Biscuit?
In addition to being light, buttery, and delicious, this recipe is a great one to do with your next brunch or breakfast if you eat savoury, the kids' lunch box, or a snack. Without a doubt, my favourite way to enjoy them is with a nice salad in the summer or a velvety soup in the winter.
And these would be my favourite salad recipes:
- And, my roasted vegetable salad
- And my creamy butternut squash soup
💭 Cooking FAQ
Keep them in an air-tight container in the fridge. Enjoy at room temperature or warm it up in the microwave for 10 seconds or so.
I would not keep the biscuits longer than 3 or 4 days in the fridge. If you are storing them at room temperature, I would eat them within 24 hours.
Yes, I would recommend freezing them the day they have been baked so they keep their freshness.
📖 Recipe: Cheese Biscuit With Herbs
- Baking sheet
- 1 and ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- In a big bowl, pour all the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, garlic salt and oregano.
- Then, melt the butter and add it to the bowl. Mix well.
- Add in the milk and mix again.
- Lastly, pour in the cheese of your choice and mix.
- On a baking sheet, covered with parchment paper, drop a tablespoon of batter.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Enjoy!
Did you make it? Share it and tag me on Instagram @bonappeteat