Buttery and crumbly, these almond flour shortbread cookies are the best melt-in-your-mouth goodness you’ll love. This easy mouthwatering and classic recipe is gluten-free and low on sugar. Totally addicting, you will not be able to eat only one!
Shortbread cookies are very popular in our household and the other delicious recipe you’ll love and need to consider is the vanilla shortbread cookies.
Typically baked around Christmas time, you can make them all year round. Play with their shapes! If you are baking them with kids, this is a great activity.
How To Make Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies?
The steps to make this recipe are simple and it requires few ingredients. You will need:
– Almond flour
– Soft butter
– Almond extract
First, cream the butter with the almond extract. Once smooth, add in the almond flour and sugar. Using your hands, gather the ingredients into a dough.
Once it’s holding together, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for an hour. It is a crumbly dough, so don’t worry if it is not perfect and smooth.
Next, place the dough between 2 parchment papers and roll with a rolling pin. Next, place the dough between 2 parchment papers and roll with a rolling pin. Using cookie cutters, cut your cookie and place it on a baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Place the cookies with almond flour in the fridge for 15 minutes. In the meantime, pre-heat the oven. The cooking time will be short. For smaller cookies, you should adjust the time. For a 3-inch cookie, 6 minutes is perfect. Adjust to 4 minutes if the almond flour cookies are smaller.
Once baked, it is important to allow the cookies to cool down before handling them. Since there are gluten-free shortbread cookies, it is more crumbly.
Optional: You can dip your cookies in melted chocolate. I partially did so for the little stars and I did a ‘messy’ drizzle on the round ones. You can add sprinkles or crumbled pieces of nuts on the chocolate before it melts.
Feel free to choose milk, dark, or even white chocolate. I would advise with a semi-sweet one but unsweeten would work too.
Almond Flour, Almond Meal, Ground Almonds: Is It All The Same?
Yes! There are all finely grounded almonds. All these ways of calling it are correct. It can be done with blanched almonds which means their skins have been removed before or turned into flour with the skin on (unblanched).
You can make your own almond flour by pulsing whole almonds into your blender.
Is Almond Flour The Healthiest Flour?
While coconut flour is the healthiest flour, almond flour is right behind it on the list. I, personally, do not consume almond flour to follow any diet but simply because I’m obsessed with its taste. Almost anything made with it (to play it safe!), I’ll eat it. You should know that about me by now :)
It is particularly used for keto, paleo or, gluten free recipes. If you are following a low carb diet, this is the flour with the lowest net carbs.
This is however the perfect crispy almond flour cookies you’ll ever need!
What makes the almond flour cookie so crumbly? This cookie is meant to be crumbly and buttery. Since there is fat (the butter) and no gluten, it is inevitably crumbly, however, this is the texture we are looking for here, a buttery, melt in your mouth shortbread almond cookie.
Can I freeze these gluten-free shortbread cookies? Absolutely, it is a great make-ahead recipe. However, before baking them, make sure to thaw them out in the fridge beforehand.
How long can I store the cookies? You can keep them in an air-tight container at room temperature for a week or so. It will keep them soft with crunchy edges.
Can I substitute the almond flour for plain flour? This recipe has been developed with almond flour, I would recommend to stick to it the way it is.
More Almond Flour Recipes
– The Best of the best almond flour cake: so delicious you will love me forever!
– Decadent and fugdy almond flour brownies: if you are looking for gooey goodness…
– Tarte Amandine: a pear tart with almond cream: a French classic.
– Banana pie with almond cream: a surprising and delicious combo!
Baking for the holidays? Here are more ideas
– Almond cherry florentines were such a hit!
– Easy chocolate mendiants are a French bark, traditionally prepare for Christmas!
– Homemade chocolate truffles, only 2 ingredients to make this goodness.
The Best Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
- 2 and 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips milk or dark to taste.
- Cream the butter with the almond extract. (either by hand or with a handheld mixer)
- Once smooth, add in the almond flour and sugard. Using your hands, gather the ingredients into a dough.
- Once it’s holding together, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for an hour. It is a crumbly dough, so don’t worry if it is not perfect and smooth.
- Next, place the dough between 2 parchment papers and roll with a rolling pin. Then, place the dough between 2 parchment papers and roll with a rolling pin. Using cookie cutters, cut your cookie and place it on a baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the cookies with almond flour in the fridge for 15 minutes. In the meantime, pre-heat the oven at 425F.
- Bake for 6 minutes or until slightly golden. Adjust to 4 minutes if the almond flour cookies are smaller.
- Allow to cool completely before handling them.
- Optional: Melt the chocolate in 20 seconds increments in the microwave. Dip the cookies as desired or drizzle using a spoon.
Did you make it? Share it and tag me on Instagram @bonappeteat