And we are talking quinoa and spinach in a creamy sauce!
Loaded with protein, a great vegetarian meal, yes meal because the mushrooms were that big. If you are sharing one, it can be an appetizer. It is topped with goat cheese and it is giving such a kick to the dish.
You will love the freshness and strength of the goat cheese is really the perfect addition and balance to the mushroom and its stuffing.
I made this recipe last weekend and I meant to post it all week. Life is crazy. Since I work on my picture editing and writing the evening, after 9pm, I often fall asleep with the laptop on my lap…
Except that this week, I actually worked on video editing! Not for the blog, at least not for now. It was for a casting for a show… about cooking! It is scary and great at the same time! I never send an application to a casting call before. Everything is exiting and new.
A week ago, I went to the casting. After that huge line up, my turn came. Five minutes. A lot of people got taped, not me. I knew I did not make it through.
Sure enough, Monday I received an email asking me for a 5-minutes video of me cooking and presenting myself. to send before Thursday! I made it Tuesday and edited Wednesday and send it that same night.
The next step, a Skype interview…. I will keep you posted!
About those Portobello mushrooms… There were such a good size, bigger that the palm of my hand.
I made them in the oven, but you could do them in the barbecue, I would put them in aluminium foil tough.
I ate one as a side dish and another one alone for lunch. It is filling enough. It warms up very well so if you have leftover, save it!
Cut in 4, it make a cute vegetarian appetizer to share!
You have to give it a try and spread the word :) about the mushrooms not my tv appearance ahah! I hope. Who knows?…
Spinach & Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 portobello mushrooms
For the stuffing:
- 1/4 big onion minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp butter 30g
- 2 tbsp flour 30g
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups chopped spinach packed
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
- Remove the stems, a twist off should do the trick.
- With a spoon, gently scrap the gills until you see the white.
- With a damp paper towel, gently clean them.
- Set them aside.
For the stuffing:
- In a pan, medium heat, pour the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and the garlic.
- When golden, turn down the heat, add the butter and the flour, stir well, you have a roux, add the milk gradually and mix well not to have any lump. You have a bechamel.
- Add salt to taste
- Remove from the heat, add the spinach and the quinoa, stir well.
- Stuff the mushrooms.
- Place a tablespoon of goat cheese on each stuffing. Add some pepper on top.
- Bake in the oven at 375F for 10-12 minutes.