Try these Mini French Puff Pastry Pear Tarts right away! A buttery and flaky crust topped with your favourite jam and juicy pears. It makes it an irresistible and easy dessert and it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare. If you have been to a French bakery, you know these little babies can be found there and now you can make your own at home!
This simple treat is a crowd-pleaser and can be baked with or by the kids. The sweetness of the pears and the crunch of the puff pastry is the perfect combo for this Fall.
If you love a good buttery dessert but like to keep it simple, you will love my Cinnamon Puff Pastry Twists or the Cuban Pastelitos de Guayaba, However, you will have to decide whether you should try these delicious tartlets first!
Why you will love these mini pear tarts:
- SIMPLE ingredients
- EASY and QUICK to prepare
- VERSATILE recipe
🍐 Ingredients Needed
Let's gather the ingredients before starting to bake. Mise-en-place always makes the process smoother and faster!
- PEARS: I used the Bosc type because it firm and crisp but also sweet. Barlett, concorde and Tosca are also great options.
- PUFF PASTRY: Remember to thaw it out about 2 hours at room temperature or as directed on the package. If you thaw it out too much in advance, it can be tricky to unfold.
- JAM: Use your favorite jam or if you want to keep low on sugar, you may use an unsweetened fruit sauce.
- EGG YOLK: In in a pinch, this step can be skipped has it is mainly for a nice golden color and for the sugar to stick to it.
The recipe for these mini puff pastry pear tarts has only a few steps: preparing the crust with jam and cutting the pear into slices.
First, unroll the dough and cut into third part length wise and in half width wise (picture 1). Now, spread a small teaspoon worth of your favorite jam on the puff pastry squares. Do not go too close to the edges (Picture 2).
Then, thinly slice the pears and place them on top of the jam (Picture 3). In the last step, mix an egg yolk with a teaspoon of water and with a baking brush, brush the edges of the crust (Picture 4).
TIP: Sprinkle some white or brown sugar on the egg wash to add a little caramelization.
Bake it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and enjoy warm or cold!
📋 Variations and Substitutions
Fruits: If you want you can mix the pears with apple slices or just make it apple slices. It is also super delicious!
Jam: Another option would be to use apple sauce (sweetened or unsweetened).
Puff pastry: You can either use a store bought puff pastry one or make it from scratch.
Serving suggestions: If you are looking to make a quick pear tart recipe, skip the cutting and make one big tart.
Extra toppings: How about a ball of ice cream on top or some whipped cream? You may also like to sprinkle some ground cinnamon on top.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Personally, I prefer Bosc because it firm, sweet and crisp. Concorde, Tosca or Anjou pears.
I recommend 400F, a high temperature favours the puffing of the pastry and you obtain an even baking (inside out).
It has happened to me too! Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes or more, use a little bit of flour to dust the surface if it is still a little soft.
This might be a rare situation since there are so delicious, however, simply store them in an air-tight container up to 3-4 days in the fridge and bring to room temperature before eating.
👩🏻🍳 More Easy Puff Pastry Recipes
📖 Mini French Puff Pastry Pear Tarts
- 2 rolls puff pastry, frozen and thawed out
- 6 pears
- ½ cup jam of your choice
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Thaw out the puff pastry as directed on the box, typically, 2 hours at room temperature.
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F.
- Unroll the 2 puff pastry doughs and cut into third part length wise and in half width wise.
- Spread a teaspoon worth of your favorite jam on each puff pastry squares/rectangles.
- Thinly slice the pears and place them on top of the jam.
- In a small ramekin, combine egg yolk with a teaspoon of water and with a baking brush, brush the edges of the crust.
- Sprinkle some sugar on the egg wash to add a little caramelization. (optional)
- Bake it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm or cold!
- Use Barlett, Bosc or Anjou pears.
- Store baked tarts in an air-tight container up to 3-4 days.
- Make the same recipe with apples!