My husband, el Cubano, is generally the one picking up the kids at the day care. It give me 45 minutes to an hour to get started with dinner. And by the way, it is just insane what you can accomplished in 45 minutes without the children in the house. You would never know until you become a mom.
I know you recognized yourself, ahah!
My apron on, fully inspired for a nice dinner for my family, I chopped some garlic, parsley, some olive oil and salt, here is a nice marinade to leave my chicken in. I wished I had lemon.
As I was starting to crush the pecans, everybody arrived home. And here comes the disappointed little man: Maman, what are you doing? Cooking? Without me?
That is it. As this point, when you 3-year-old little boy wants to put his small apron on to help you cook dinner, you know that he will most likely make healthier choices in the kitchen.
And this is what Food Revolution Day will be on May 16th. Get your children involved in the kitchen, show him/her to cook from scratch, give them little tasks to participate in the preparation of dinner or snacks.
As parents, it is our duty to teach our children healthy choice, the basics of cooking and where the vegetables and fruits really come from. As a contribution to Jamie Oliver’s campaign, I have shared our little garden (and we will keep you posted on that once the first pod of peas will be ready to be picked. Also, my little sous-chef helped me prepare the meat balls, he was so proud and made a few special one for his little sister.
This is a great week day recipe, simple yet tasty. The marinade perfumed the chicken with garlic and the pecan crust allowed the meat to stay juicy in the inside. It was just a success. Did I mention how juicy it was? All plates were all clean, it must be a good sign!
- - 3 chicken breast of 200g each
- For the marinade:
- - 4 gloves of garlic
- - 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- - 1/2 cup of olive oil
- - 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- For the crust:
- - 1 cup of crushed pecan
- - 1 cup of bread crumbs
- - 2 eggs, beaten
- - Butter for the cooking
- For the marinade:
- - In a large bowl, pour all the ingredients together, mix together. Add the chicken and turn it to coat each breast. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- - Preheat the oven at 360F.
- - In the meantime, Put the crushed pecan and the bread crumbs in a shallow plate. Put the eggs in a shallow plate too.
- - Get the chicken out of the fridge, taken them out of the marinade.
- - Dip the chicken in the egg and then roll it in the pecan mixture, press to make sure it adhere.
- - Repeat for the 2 other pieces of chicken.
- - In a pan (that goes in the oven too), melt the butter at medium heat. Cook 2-3 minutes each sides until it starting to become brown. Then, put your pan in the oven 12-15 minutes.
- - Serve while warm.
Serve with a green salad and feta, seasoned with flavored olive oil, it is a perfect protein loaded meal!