In North America, it is very common to have gone in the South on vacations, meaning in the Caribbean. One of the comment I get is that the food was not that great. Well, in the all-inclusive resorts, I don’t think that you will experience the local food. Not only they have yummy dishes to discover but beautiful places. Even though, we have not know each other for a long time, you might know that I am talking about Cuba… Here is some warmth for you…
Today, I want to share a meatless recipe for an easy weekday dinner. I simply love that recipe. It is easy and full of flavours. All the ingredients you will need are probably already in your pantry.
In Spanish, it is called garbanzos, but this is actually chick peas. It is a recipe I discover from my husband, el Cubano and his family.
Now, go chill from your day of work and let it simmer 20-30 minutes!
Personally, I found it filling enough for a meal, we sometimes would eat some salad on the side. I will leave it up to you!
- - Half an onion
- - 2 garlic cloves
- - 2 tomatoes - medium size
- - 1 can of chick peas
- - 2 cups of tomato sauce, plain
- - Cumin to taste
- - Oregano to taste - I guess you could substitute with another fresh herb if you have. Always better.
- - Salt to taste
- - Mince the garlic and the onion. Sauté the garlic and onion in a little of olive oil in a pan - big enough to get all your ingredients in. In the meantime, cut your tomatoes in dices.
- - Once, they have reach a gold color for your onion and garlic, add your tomatoes and the juice that came out when cutting them. Nothing goes to waste, it is flavor!
- - Drain the chick peas. Stir on your preparation in your pan.
- - Reduce the heat and add your chick peas and the tomato sauce little by little, I actually pour about 1 and a 1/2 out of the 2 cups of tomato sauce and if it becomes to dry I add a little bit more. That is why you need to have this simmer. Season to taste with your cumin, oregano and salt.
Enjoy and gracias 🙂