Homemade pie crust is easy to make and require only 4 ingredients for a savoury dish and 5 for a dessert. Prepared in 5 minutes, this is a basic recipe to know by heart.
This recipe is easier and faster to put together than you think and this perfect flaky crust will impress your family and friends at the table.
How To Make A Pie Crust From Scratch
The pie crust is one of recipes I know by heart and you should too. You will be able to make your very own crust in 2 simple steps:
In a small bowl, cream the butter with salt. Add in the beaten egg. Mix well. You will have a creamy mixture.
In a bigger bowl, make a well with the flour and put the creamy mixture in the middle. Fold in the flour to incorporate the mixture and flour. Using a spatula, fold the flour and pretend to cut in the middle with the tip of your spatula to incorporate the flour. Repeat this gesture until your dough is smooth. Set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes.
If you don't have room temperature butter: Use your cheese grater to make 'grated butter' and it will be so much easier to mix with the flour and get to the 'crumbly' stage.
Don't over-work the dough: once you have combined all the ingredients and your crust is assembled and looks smooth. Stop working on it. The dough will become hard and tough to spread.
When To Use Your Pie Crust
Most of all, the best part of this recipe is its versatility. Whether you are making a quick dessert or a savoury dish, this flaky crust is a great option. Mainly, I use this crust for my quiches or savoury pie such as this goat-spinach tart. The recipe for the crust is quite similar, except that instead of an egg, you consolidate the dough with milk or water.
As for the sweet tooth, you will want to try this shortcrust pastry for my elegant raspberry tart.
That is it, you now know how to make a pie crust! I'm so proud of you and honoured that you chose my recipe.
Show me how you did, send me a picture of your pie crust!
I highly recommend making my recipes using a scale but for your convenience, I have also converted the recipe using this website.
Homemade Pie Crust
- a little less than ½ cup cup butter softened (cut in cube packed) or 100g
- 1 and ⅓ cup flour 200g
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar if you are making a sweet recipe
- In a small bowl, cream the butter. Add the salt.
- Add in the beaten egg. Mix well.
- In a bigger bowl, make a well with the flour and put the egg/butter mix in the middle.
- Fold in the flour to incorporate the mixture and flour. Using a spatula, fold the flour and pretend to cut in the middle with the tip of your spatula to incorporate the flour.
- Repeat this gesture until your dough is smooth. Set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 300F. Take the dough about 10 minutes before your need it.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough thinly but thick enough so it does not break and place it in the individual baking rings or one big mold.