This vegan ginger carrot soup will warm up your soul with simple ingredients and lots of flavour. With a smooth texture, a vibrant colour, this soup is aromatic and sweet. This soup checks all the boxes: healthy, easy and delicious. The recipe calls for some chopping and then, let it cook, that's it!
The ingredients required for this carrot ginger soup are simple ingredients that you most likely have on your grocery list: carrots, celery, onion and garlic are staples for the winter. If ginger is not in your kitchen, add it to the grocery list asap!
Nothing warms up our heart and body like a homemade soup. My favourite one is probably my leek soup, full of flavours; although, the mushroom soup (also vegan) is not far behind because it is so simple to make for an outstanding result!
🥘 Why you will love this carrot & ginger soup
- Full of health benefits
- Easy to make
- Great to make ahead and freezer friendly
- An amazing soup for everyone: vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free
🥕 Health Benefits of Carrot and Ginger
- Rich in Vitamin A which is good for your eyes
- Perfect to enhance your healthy skin with the carotenoids in carrots
- Vitamin A will also boost your immune system and we all need that in the winter!
- The list goes on: Your whole body benefits, your blood pressure, your teeth, your cholesterol level... There is nothing bad about it! It is also rich in fiber (25% of your daily needs).
- Complementing the benefits of the carrots as ginger is also great for your digestive system.
- Great pain and muscle reliever, adding ginger to your soup while sick or sore in your body is a great idea. It contains an anti-inflammatory compound.
🥣 Ingredients Needed
The great part of this carrot soup recipe is that it requires only a few ingredients and from there, you can add anything you wish as a topping.
- Carrots: Use the regular fresh carrots rather than frozen.
- Fresh ginger: again, fresh is best, it will give more aroma to the soup.
- Onion: half of one large, if small use a whole one.
- Vegetable stock: You can use homemade broth or store-bought if it is easier for you.
📋 Variations and Substitutions
Since this is a basic carrot soup recipe, it gives you a lot of room to customize it.
- Herbs: Add more flavours by blending some oregano, thyme or dill, they pair well with carrots!
- Some spices: have you ever tried to add some cinnamon to your soup? What about nutmeg? Delicious.
- Broth: You can also use chicken stock if you wish.
- Toppings: Seeds or toasted nuts, croutons, a drizzle of cream, crumbled feta or goat, or simply some fresh ground black pepper. Also, to give a creamier texture, add a drizzle of coconut cream or olive oil.
- Little extra extra: you can add some orange juice or lime juice to cut the sweetness a little if you wish. Add about a tablespoon at the same time that the broth.
Alternatively, this vegan ginger carrot soup recipe can be cooked in the Instant Pot.
🔪 How To Prepare It
This vegan ginger carrot soup is easy to prepare, can be made ahead and frozen for later. Double your batch while you are at it! Here we only have 5 ingredients and the broth, you are a quick chop-chop away from your warm soup.
First, using a chef knife, a peeler and a chopping board, chop all your vegetables. Wash and peel the carrots before slicing them into coins, chop the onion and garlic. Peel the ginger and chop it too (Picture 1). Next, in a hot large pot, drizzle some olive oil and sauté the vegetables for 5 to 8 minutes (Picture 2).
Tip: To peel a piece of ginger, use a spoon to scrap the peel.
Now, add the vegetable broth to the pot (picture 3) and allow to simmer over medium heat for about 40 minutes (picture 4).
Lastly, puree the soup using your immersion blender, blend until smooth. It is now ready to serve!
💭 Recipe FAQs
Add a little less broth. Pour progressively until you reach the thickness desired. If you already have added all the liquid, take a small ramekin and stir a tablespoon of flour with 3 of water and add it to the soup and cook a few minutes, it will thicken.
France! Also called 'Potage Crécy' in French, Crécy refers to any dish with carrots or served with carrots.
You can either store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
🥖 What To Serve With The Soup
If you like something to accompany your soup, here are a few suggestions:
🥣 More Vegan Soup Recipe Ideas
Do you need more inspiration for soup season? I got you covered!
📖 Vegan Ginger Carrot Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 branches celery chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- 4 carrots sliced, big ones or 5 medium
- 2 tablespoon ginger minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the carrots before slicing them into coins.
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Peel the ginger and mince it.
- In a hot large pot, drizzle some olive oil and sauté the vegetables for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or a regular blender.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Peel the ginger with the tip of a spoon and scrape the peel off.
- Refrigerate 3 to 4 days in an air-tight container or freeze 2 to 3 months.
- To thicken the soup, take a small ramekin and stir a tablespoon of flour with 3 of water and add it to the soup and cook a few minutes, it will thicken.