Garbanzos is such a dish packed with flavours and so satisfying. Easy to put together, it’s even more delicious on the next day. For the meat lover, you can definitely adapt it and add some pieces of ham or sausage.
I discovered this dish when I went for the first time to Cuba, not in a resort, with Cubans. Immerse in the real Cuban life and grabbing a bite in simple spots where no tourists hang. This is a simple dish full of flavour that you will not find in a resort.
Garbanzos, A Weekday Idea
I love this meatless recipe for an easy weekday dinner. It is easy and full of flavours. All the ingredients you will need are probably already in your pantry. I always keep a few cans of garbanzos in my pantry for days when I do know what’s for dinner!
Also, this is a great lunch to pack for the kids the next day. Add some cubes of ham and there you have a super protein meal!
Now, go chill from your day of work and let it simmer 20-30 minutes!
Personally, I found it filling enough for a meal, we sometimes would eat some salad on the side. I will leave it up to you!
Vegetarian Cuban Garbanzos Fritos
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tomatoes medium size, diced
- 1 an chickpeas 250g or dried chickpeas previously soaked and cooked
- 2 cups tomato sauce plain
- cumin to taste
- Oregano to taste
- Salt to taste
- In a hot pan, sauté the garlic and onion in a little of olive oil – big enough to get all your ingredients in.
- Once, the onion and garlic are golden and fragrant, add your fresh tomatoes and the juice that came out when cutting them. Nothing goes to waste, it is flavour!
- Drain the chickpeas.
- Reduce the heat and add your chickpeas and the tomato sauce little by little, I actually pour about 1 and a 1/2 out of the 2 cups of tomato sauce and if it becomes to dry I add a little bit more. That is why you need to have this simmer. Season to taste with your cumin, oregano and salt.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Enjoy and gracias 🙂