Patio and terrace season! Spring has been shy but I do believe that it's slowly showing up and promising some nice days
Cinco de Mayo is also around the corner and a perfect excuse to organize a friend gathering, a nice potluck on a theme! How fun! (Why don't we have emojis around here?!) #reallifeproblem
If you are in charge of dessert, Flan de coco will be it! I got you covered. It's simple, most likely you have all ingredients in your pantry. Does not require too much of your time so you can relax and sip on a Margarita while it's in the oven.
Easy as ''Un, dos, tres''
The steps are easy! The eggs are beaten, the 2 milks are added and the coconut and hop it goes in the oven! Easy right?
So simple that it's definitely a recipe that allows you to get the kids in the kitchen! Mine were in charge of beating the eggs and pouring the milk. Easy enough and not to long of a task so you still have their attention.
This flan de coco is lighter that the Cuban flan I shared with you in the past. I used more milk (2%) with the condensed milk and it made lighter and more fluffy after being baked.
Also, the Cuban flan has a caramel but I didn't make any for it with this dessert, it makes it less sweet. I choose to garnish with toasted coconut. It adds more texture.
Also, I should confess...
This flan de coco recipe is actually a fail from what I had in mind but turned out great. All the test tasters approved.
So what is the fail? The coconut went right to the bottom BUT it create some sort of crust at the bottom, or a layer I should say. It was just perfect.
Flan de coco
- 5 eggs medium
- 1 can condensed milk
- 500 ml milk I used 2%
- 1 cup shredded coconut ¾ to bake and ¼ to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven at 350°F.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk. Stir. Then, add the condensed milk. Add a portion of the shredded coconut (¾ of a cup). Stir again.
- Pour in a round oven dish, I used a T-Fal pot but any 9-inch round pan would work, make sure it's high enough.
- Bake in a bain-marie for 35-40 minutes. To check if it is ready, insert a knife in, if it comes out clean. You've done it!
- Broil in the oven 2 minutes the rest of the coconut or until golden. Use for garnish.
More latino inspirations: