This vegetarian Florentine quiche is a classic made with an easy pie crust filled with mushrooms, spinach, cheese and eggs. It's a simple and delicious French meal! Perfect for brunch, lunches, dinner with a soup and even breakfast if it is your style!
Quiches might seem like an intimidating dish but it is actually simple. This a great vegetarian version, if you are want some ham, the quiche Lorraine is your next option, it is a ham and cheese quiche. Also on the blog, there is also goat cheese spinach quiche.
Below, you will learn that making your own pastry crust from scratch is a life skill. You will never buy a pre-made one ever. Then, spread some mushrooms and spinach on your pastry crust. Finally, pour your egg, cream and milk mixture on it. You'll be so proud when you are done with your spinach quiche!
How To Make The Pie Crust?
Try it once, make it always and forever! This is my weekday recipe you guys. So simple!
1 - Prepare all your ingredients, which are only 3, well 4 if you count the salt!
2 - Mix the butter and flour together until it crumbles between your fingers (see below).
3 - Gradually add the water until the ball is smooth. Don't overwork the dough! That's it, it's ready to be rolled.
TIP: "My butter is not soft, it was in the fridge": Take your cheese grater and grate your butter. Boom!
ANOTHER TIP: When I'm a rush, I spread the crust down directly in my pie dish using the palm of my hand. I've managed to make a pretty uniformly spread crust over the years!
How To Prepare A Quiche?
Now that you know how to make the crust, the next steps will seem really easy!
Cleaning your mushrooms: With a humid paper towel, clean your mushroom and slice the bottom of it. Slice them up and that is it! As a short cut, you can buy them already cut.
Wash your spinach and chop them grossly, I like it better when it's cooked. Personal preference.
Sauté both in a hot pan with some olive oil. Add some salt to taste, not too much. You can skip the salt here if you want and just add it to your eggs. I prefer to do the latter.
Let's talk dairy... Back home, in France, I would use crème fraîche, not sour cream. It's not the same.
I would also go sometimes for just milk. Always on hand, less fatty.
BUT, I have since then, adapted and made my own version. I still use milk and the same amount of heavy cream. I love the texture! A good ratio is one egg for a ¼ of a cup of dairy.
Whisk the eggs, and add in the milk/cream mix. Then, add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with some cheese of your choice and ready to pop in the oven.
Can You Freeze A Quiche?
Absolutely! As a matter of fact, I would recommend it. I often make double the batch and freeze it for later.
Shall I freeze my quiche cooked or uncooked? Either way! Bake your spinach quiche 10 minutes less than required, let it cool, and then freeze. Alternatively, you can freeze your quiche uncooked BUT you need to make sure it is nicely flat in your freezer. Once frozen, you can store it in another position.
More Brunch Recipes:
Favourite Vegetarian Florentine Quiche
For the crust
- a little less than ½ cup butter, softened (cut in cube packed) 100g
- 1 and ⅓ cup flour 200g
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup water or less
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach
- 4 eggs medium
- 100 ml milk 2%
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese old cheddar, cheddar or mozzarella
- Preheat the oven at 375F.
For the crust
- Mix the butter, the flour and salt together until it is crumbly.
- Add in the water gradually as you might need a few drops less. Form into a ball and set in the fridge for 20 minutes or so.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface.
For the Quiche filling
- Clean with a damp paper, clean the mushrooms and slice them up.
- Clean and chop the spinach.
- In a hot pan, with some olive oil, sauté the mushroom and spinach for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Spread on the crust. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and add in the milk and the heavy cream. Mix and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture over in the crust with the spinach and mushrooms. Sprinkle the cheese over.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the top also.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Make a double batch and freeze it before cooking it or after cooking and cooling it.
Did you make this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @bonappeteat so I can see!