Make these mini classic strawberry and apple crumble as soon as possible! A layer of tender and sweet fruits covered with a buttery crust made with almond flour (no oats) makes an irresistible and easy dessert. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare it!
This timeless treat is a crowd-pleaser from the baker to the eaters: easy and quick to prepare but also delicious! The sweetness of the strawberry and the crunch of the apple is the perfect match with the topping.
If you love a delicious buttery crust and juicy strawberries, you will love my Strawberry Shortbread Crumble Bars. However, you will have to debate whether you should try this delicious Apple Crumble Tart first!
Why you will love these strawberry and apple crumbles:
EASY and QUICK to prepare
🥣 Ingredients Needed
Let's gather the ingredients and measure them before starting to bake. Mise-en-place always makes the process smoother!
- Apples: I use Gala apples but you can also use Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or your favorite ones!
- Strawberries: Use fresh ones preferably. The frozen ones will give a more mushy dessert.
- Granulated sugar: You can swap for brown sugar if this is a preference but the white sugar gives a crispier result.
- All-purpose flour: if you want to make this crumble gluten-free, use gluten-free flour. I do not recommend skipping it as it helps combine the dough.
- Cold butter: I use salted because I love that little hint of salt in my crust with the sweetness of the apple strawberry mix. Feel free to use an unsalted one.
- Vanilla extract (not photographed here): can be swapped for almond or lemon extract.
The recipe has 2 main steps: preparing the crumble and then the fruits.
First, let's prepare the crumble topping. In a large mixing bowl, pour almond flour and the butter, and using the tip of your fingers or a pastry blender, mix the 2 ingredients until it looks like wet sand.
Next, add the sugar, mix some more, and same with the flour.
Lastly, add the vanilla extract which will bind everything together. It will be the exact amount of moisture needed to combine it all. (Picture 1)
Now, the next step will be to prepare your fruits (Picture 2):
- Strawberries, wash, dry, and remove the stems. Cut in half.
- Apples: Wash, peel and cut the apple into small pieces (I cut an eighth in 4)
TIP: Try to cut the apple into similar sizes in order to have uniform baking.
In the last step, distribute equally into ramekins (or a big oven dish if you prefer). Now, grab some crust, squeeze it in your hand and drop it on top of the fruit. It will have some chunks and some smaller crumbles.
Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool down a little before enjoying it.
Fruits: Obviously, there are easy swaps you can be made, use pears instead of apples or other berries instead of strawberries. Keep in mind, that you might have to adjust a few minutes of the baking. Try my summery berry crumble!
Lemon juice: Adding half a teaspoon of juice to each ramekin adds a lovely zesty flavour to the sweetness of the fruits.
Serving suggestions: Baking dish: This apple strawberry crumble can be served in mini ramekins like shown in the pictures or in a large dish.
Temperature: Warm or cold, take your pick!
Extra topping: How about a ball of ice cream on top of your crumble? or a drizzle of salted caramel? Or maybe some roasted sliced almonds?
💭 Recipe FAQs
It depends where in the world you are asking. Some will differentiate with the ingredients, the crisp might include oats in the topping.
You may store it for up to 4 days.
Cold butter is the way to go when baking a crust for flakiness and crispiness in this case.
🍓🍎 More Strawberry and Apple Recipes
📖 Mini Strawberry and Apple Almond Flour Crumble
- 3 Gala apples Big
- 1 pound strawberries
- ¼ butter, cold 60g
- ¾ cup ground almond 75g
- ⅓ cup sugar 65g
- ¾ cup flour 75g
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 400F.
- Peel the apples and cut them into cubes. Place equally in the ramequins. Set aside.
- In a bowl, put the butter and the almond powder, mix it together - i do it with my hands or pastry blender.
- Add the sugar, mix again. And finally, add the flour, mix again, it should be crumble.
- Lastly, add the vanilla extract.
- On top of the apples and strawberries, add a handful of the crumble preparation: squeeze it in your hand and drop it on top of the fruit. It will have some chunks and some smaller crumbles.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or when the crumbles appears golden.
- Allow to cool down and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Use COLD butter to prepare the crumble topping