Moist, chocolatey and oh-so-satisfying, you have to try this chocolate zucchini cake! A hidden veggie, dairy free, low on sugar, this is your feel-better-cake!
You will NOT taste the zucchini in this chocolate cake. If you intend to sneak some vegetable, go ahead, this is your opportunity! The zucchini will replace the butter and create moisture in your cake.
Sneaky Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Besides my daughter that lended me her tiny hands for the process shots, I did not tell anyone about the hidden zucchini in the cake. We actually have no issue with kids eating the veggies so I tested mostly hubby!
RESULT: He did not taste the zucchini until I told him there were some! He actually did not believe me.
This is your chance to put to the test your picky eater! Who is it? Your kid? Hubby? You?
I like to hide a fruit or veggie in chocolate. I did it too in my vegan chocolate tartlet, it is so decadent and there is a hidden banana!
Kid Friendly: Make your cake & Eat it!
Do you see these little hands in my process shot? There are my 7-year old! She prepared the cake from A to Z. If you are looking for a baking activity with your kids, this is a great opportunity. I’m all about teaching them about good food and this is why they eat everything, all you need to do is involve them!
A Few Notes Before You Start Baking
1. I used the big side of the cheese grater for the zucchini and it shrinks a lot when it cooks.
2. My oven is a beast, you know yours, bake 25 minutes and then 5 minutes as needed until the knife comes out dry.
3. CHOCOLATE: When recipe testing, I did one with only dark chocolate. It was quite bitter. I came up with half dark, half milk chocolate and it is a good balance. If you like dark bitter chocolate, go for the full dark recipe!
4. HAVE FUN BAKING!
I highly recommend making my recipes using a scale but for your convenience I have also converted the recipe using this website.
Decadent Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 3 eggs medium size
- A little over cup sugar 125g
- A little less cup flour 100g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate 80g
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate 80g
- 1 cup shredded zucchini one big zucchini
- Prepare and weigh all the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven at 400F.
- Beat the eggs. Add the sugar and beat until the colour lightened.
- Add the baking powder, whisk some more.
- Add the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Cut the chocolate in small piece and melt in the microwave (30 secondes at the time)
- Pour it over the mixed batter. Mix until smooth.
- Shred the zucchini and drain the excess water out of it with a paper towel. Add it to the batter and mix.
- Grease the oven dish of your choice with butter or olive oil if you wish.
- Bake for 30 min at 400F or until your knife come out dry when you pinch the middle.
- It's ready! Enjoy and store in a container for a few days…
Did you bake it? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @bonappeteat so I can see it! :)