The Cuban Pastelitos De Guayaba or guava pastries are a sweet guava paste with some cream cheese wrapped in a buttery puff pastry. Super easy to prepare with only 3 ingredients, this is a traditional Cuban treat that will satisfy your sweet tooth for breakfast, dessert, or snack. You will love the sweet and savoury mix to these pastries
Cuban recipes are delicious and if you are not familiar you should give them a try. The famous Cuban flan is an easy pantry recipe or the classic Cuban dulce de leche is recycling your spoiled milk! If you don't have a sweet tooth, the Cuban Puerco Asado is a must-try!
You will love Cuban food!
📋 What Is A Pastel de Guayaba?
These traditional Cuban pastries are a very common sweet and savoury treat. Made with a flaky pastelito dough which is nothing else than puff pastry, the filling is made of cheese over guava paste or vice versa.
Also known as Magnifico, the pastelitos de guayaba history is not really known as you can also search for Puerto Rican or Mexican guava pastry recipe and get a similar result.
📖 How To Make Pastelitos de Guayaba
First of all, the best part of this recipe is that you will only need 3 ingredients and the preparation is so quick!
- Puff pastry sheets: I use the frozen ones
- Cream cheese
- Guava paste
Actually, you will need one more ingredient: an egg yolk for the egg wash.
Preheat oven before getting started with the guava pastelitos.
Note: Your frozen puff pastry will only take a couple of hours to thaw out at room temperature on the counter.
- First, unroll your puff pastry on a baking sheet or parchment paper, and using a pizza cutter, make 9 squares of about 3 inches.
- Then, drop a teaspoon of cream cheese in the middle of each square.
- Lastly, place the guava paste slices on top.
Fold all the corners towards the center to form a little square and place it on the parchment paper with the folds down. Make sure it is well sealed, if they leak, it is not a huge deal, it will still be delicious!
Repeat the same process with the second pastry sheet.
Using a baking brush, gently brush the guava cheese pastries with egg wash. At last, you can put them in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cooling before bitting into these delicious flaky treats. Dust with some powdered sugar if you wish.
💭 FAQ For The Guava And Cheese Pastry
Guava paste is actually the fruit and sugar cooked together to a paste consistency. As it cooled down it is harder than a paste (not spreadable) but rather a sliceable paste.
If you made your own puff pastry, you can definitely freeze the pastries before baking them. Then, to bake them, you will need to add a half-hour (roughly).
In this case, I thawed out my puff pastry, store-bought, and I would not recommend freezing it again once assembled.
You can refrigerate for a few months (6 months) to up to a year in the refrigerator.
Since there is cheese in it, you will need to refrigerate it. Provided it does not get eating, you can keep it 3-4 days in an air-tight container.
More Cuban Recipes
Traditional Cuban Flan - a must-try with a video to help you!
Easy Cuban Dulce de Leche - don't discard your spoiled milk.
Flavourful Cuban Puerco Asado - A traditional pork dish.
Cuban Pastelitos De Guayaba
- Pizza slicer
- Parchment paper or silicone mat
- Baking sheet
- 2 rolls puff pastry thawed, ready to be used
- 8 oz cream cheese (226g)
- 10 oz guava paste (300g)
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Unroll your puff pastry on a baking sheet and using a pizza cutter, make 9 squares of about 3 inches.
- Drop a teaspoon of cream cheese in the middle of each square.
- Place the guava paste slices on top.
- Fold all the corners towards the center to form a little square and place it on the parchment paper with the folds down.
- Repeat the same process with the second pastry sheet.
- Using a baking brush, gently brush the guava cheese pastries with egg wash (egg yolk + 2 drops of water).
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar - optional.